Monday, September 7, 2009

Zion's Canyon Girls Weekend

This past weekend I went to Utah for a girls weekend getaway! I had such an incredible time! I usually go to Swiss Days (a huge craft show in Midway, UT) with my Mom and friends while I'm there, but she had other plans...so I made my own plans. I asked my sisters plan a girls weekend to St. George and Zions, Mindy and Sara weren't able to make it so it was my SIL Mauri and me.

We drove down Friday morning and shopped, had lunch, shopped some more, got dinner and headed to Snow Canyon. I fell in love with the red rocks in the area, so beautiful against the blue skies (earlier in the day) and the green trees.


When we got back after dark we watched our movie and got ready for the big day on Saturday.

Saturday morning we drove to Zions National Park and spent the day hiking, laughing, praying and getting wet!

Our first hike, Angel's Landing. A 5 mile round trip hike was so beautiful!
Mauri, on the way up!

Me coming down.

Part of the hike were switch backs.




We got to a landing area and then started to hike up the CrAzY part (this is the praying part). There were chains to hold on to which started off not too bad...until I saw about a 1500 foot drop below me and I FROZE! I told Mauri to have fun and I turned back, she kept going like a wild woman! One of the parts of this hike has about a 4 foot wide walkway with a 1500 foot CLIFF on one side and 900 foot CLIFF on the other!!! There is no way I would have been able to do that!

I was happy to wait right here with this beautiful view! This is as close as I could get to the edge...I slid over on my behind and couldn't even stick my feet over the edge! I am nervous just looking at this picture!

After making new friends while waiting for Mauri we ate some lunch and started back down. I had to get a picture inside this rock.

We took the bus down to The Narrows to hike along side of and in the river. This part was great, it was getting warm outside and the water was nice and cold!

This is as high as the water got, most the time it was about up to my knees.

So many great shots it was hard to pick just a few!

I had such a blast doing this, thanks for going with me Maur, and for all the laughs! And a BIG THANKS to BIG RUSS for making it all possible, staying home with the kids and having a party while I was gone!!!

4 comments:

Kris Tina said...

What in the? We need to plan our trips better. If by chance you saw two bikers riding up Zion's canyon - that was me and Greg.

Andrea and Kasey said...

That is so fun!! I haven't been there in YEARS- Love your pictures!

Joey and Nettifer said...

what a awesome girls trip! Love it! That Angels landing hike was one of Joey's favorites - but expressed some of the same feelings as you when he hiked it! Pretty Scary! Glad you had a fun girls trip!

Mauri said...

I'm crying in my beer cheese soup as I'm reading this. :) That trip was so much fun! Thanks for a great time and thanks for putting up with my driving. :) We definitely need to go back again sometime and do some more hiking. Love ya!