Monday, July 13, 2009

Kennecott Copper Mine

We met some of my girlfriends at Kennecott Copper Mine this morning. I hadn't been since I was a teenager and Russ hasn't been for years as well. It was fun to take the kids to see how big it is and how big the trucks are!


Some interesting facts: If you stacked two Sears Towers on top of each other it still wouldn't reach the top of the mine. It's one of two man made things on earth you can see from space. It's the largest open pit copper mine in the world. OoOoh, fancy!

I liked this picture below because you can see how big these trucks are, next to a bus! They're roughly the size of a house and each wheel costs $25,000! Don't you feel smart for reading this informative blog?




Jaida and Belle became BFF's again in a matter of seconds.

It was fun girls!

6 comments:

angie said...

Wow, you actually learned a thing or two, I guess I was to busy making sure my four year old didn't dive into the pit! Thanks for a fun morning.

angie said...

oh and your pictures have just been stolen, thanks!

Kristina said...

Did you see the signs that say "Keep both feet on the ground at all times"? When I was there, I was wondering how we were supposed to walk if we had to keep both feet on the ground. I guess just shuffle your feet? :)

Mauri said...

Thanks for the little lesson, I feel smarter already. The boys would love those giant trucks. Glad you guys are having lots of fun while you are here.

Kris Tina said...

Whoa - very informative. It's almost like watching a pbs documentary - but much more interesting.

meg said...

Haha, Kristina, I didn't see those signs, pretty funny!